Friday, April 13, 2012

Project X Zone: The New 3DS Game From Capcom/Sega/Namco Bandai



A little while ago it was revealed that Capcom, Sega, and Namco Bandai were all working on a crossover game for the 3DS. A lot of people assumed that it would either be a fighting game similar to the recent output of crossover-themed fighters, or an SRPG similar to the Playstation 2 game Namco X Capcom. 

Turns out it was an SRPG.


I've never played Namco X Capcom, but I've seen gameplay and this new game looks like it will be pretty similar. It looks like it shares the same Action RPG-style combat,  and movement will most likely take place on a square grid like most SRPGs. Honestly though, I'm not too huge on the art design.  It's no doubt a beautiful looking game, but seeing so many of those familiar characters in that 2D art style is a little weird for me.

I don't own a 3DS and I honestly never plan on buying one ever, but the concept as a whole really intrigues me. Franchise crossovers in general (when they're with franchises I give a shit about) are really cool. It's a lot of fun seeing fan favorites interacting with each other in some wacko parallel universe or whatever. As for this game, as someone who played all four of the original .Hack RPGs on the Playstation 2, it's FUCKING AWESOME seeing the Kite and BlackRose characters in a game again; I wonder if there will be more .Hack characters as cameos or something.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I saw this the other day and it made me pretty happy, because I always wanted to play that Namco X Capcom game. Seeing that there is a spiritual successor and it's on the 3DS, a platform for which I need a new game, is excellent.

    I'm definitely renting this for sure, and if they play nice with DLC and it's a really good game, I might buy it......I'm just hoping they don't do with DLC what they do on the consoles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have there been any 3DS games that have DLC? I only vaguely recall Nintendo discussing DLC on 3DS in the future, but other than that I haven't heard anything about any current games having it. I'm not even sure the system has that kind of capability.

    I think it's safe to say that this game won't suffer from any of the DLC choices that Capcom has been making on the consoles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/22/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-box-first-paid-dlc-for-nintendo-3ds/

    ReplyDelete

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!