Tuesday, May 4, 2010

AutoSave Saved Over Your Work? Recover Data Lost By Blogger AutoSave

The fact that Blogger autosaves your draft on a supremely regular schedule is incredibly reassuring. However, it's also a potential disaster waiting to happen, as I recently discovered. I accidentally deleted a huge chunk of my draft, and then watched in horror as the autosaver did its thing, thereby cementing my newfound problem, losing my work forever in the annals of internet ghostdom. You see, there's no way to revert to a previous draft (why, I do not know, but I assume this will be added in at some future date). Nor is there a way to decrease the autosave frequency from obsessive-compulsive to anything ranging from still too often but at least somewhat more reasonable to every five or ten minutes.

And so, one wonders if it is possible to disable the autosave. Well, unless some computing genius discovers some seemingly unintuitive workaround, the answer, for now, is no. So, no draft recovery, no decreasing the autosave frequency to something less....manic, and no disabling the damn thing altogether. Once you get in a relationship with the blogger autosave feature, you're not getting out. Funny thing is though, I don't recall taking any oath.

So what is a blogger to do?

Well, I have a solution for you. Unfortunately, I did not possess this knowledge at the time of my great loss. Which really sucked, as I lost some pretty damn salient points, and my ad hoc replacements for them were.....not as fulfilling or poignant.


Anyways, enough of my troubles. Let's get on with the damn solution already, shall we? Well, fear not, humble reader. Here it is:

Ctrl + Z.

Yes, that's it. Ctrl + Z is an all purpose Undo command, which works in quite a wide range of programs. I thought to give it a try a few minutes ago, after purposely deleting some text and then pondering my unfortunate recent loss of (salient) points. I was considering how easy it was to delete things, and lamenting the fact that it was impossible to undo such a disastrous event (I'm not over dramatic in the least, I know) when it dawned on me. UNDO!!! That's it!

Try the Undo command! And I did, and the rest is history. Well, of sorts.....kind of.....? Okay, fine, the rest is.....a blip on the pimple of history. Better

Anyways,  the idea behind the undo command is that you undo any recent mistakes at the push of a but-well, two but-, er, keys. Say you type a sentence and then decide that you do not like it. Or you add a number to a figure and then realize you did so erroneously. Well, you could hit that undo button at the top of your program toolbar, or you could hit Ctrl+ Z. The beauty of undo is that it works for any recently transpired event. Even deleting something. So, in some weird double negative faux pas je ne ce quais sort of way (what the hell did I just say?) you can undo a deletion. You're basically undoing your undo, or redoing your do. It's like a sneaky misuse of the undo command that can't get you in trouble with anyone, but probably won't get you a job or get you laid, either.

So, in a stroke of pure geniu-ah, okay, even I recognize that I'm going too far here.....in a stroke of ordinary but useful thought, I stumbled upon the idea of undoing your undo, and it worked!

I hope this is helpful to anyone who loses a part of (or their whole) blog. I know what that feels like, and it's not fun.

Bye, and happy blogging!

(and may you get more comments on your blog than I do on mine)

16 comments:

  1. Now this is some truly useful information. I right my blogs in my gmail account because of its autosave feature after losing an entire blog due to site maintenance. Since then I've only lost one blog and that was because when I highlighted the blog to copy it I accidentally hit Ctrl V and pasted over it. How I wish I knew about this then.

    Dragonymos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I'm not sure if this is going to be a second post or not because it said it posted the comment, but I don't see anything.

    Now this is some truly useful information. I started writing my blogs in my gmail account because it has an autosave feature after losing a blog due to site maintenance. Since then I've only lost one blog after accidentally hitting Ctrl V and pasting over it rather then copying it. How I wish I knew this trick then.

    Dragonymos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, I know the pain, brother. I know the pain.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the double post. This site is slower then I am used to when it comes to comments. I even tried refreshing the page first to see if it would be there then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

    I just wish I would have known about this BEFORE I lost my work :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem, glad to have helped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The undo button is fine unless the autosave happens in between you deleting or changing your document and you wanting the undo undid. I'm looking for a way to recover an earlier autosave on some uni work - any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's possible, unfortunately. What I would suggest is to either start the blog, then publish it. Go back into edit mode, and the thing won't autosave on you. It doesn't autosave when editing a published blog.

    Another suggestion is to simply do the work in a word processing program like openoffice writer, and paste into blogger when done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. arrrgh!! I just published my blog and edited it, when I clicked on publish again, there are no text, whatsover. Thougths are gone! Arrgh!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a total disaster yesterday. Mostly undo works. Autosave used to not be so frequent as it is now. That combination with restore previous version is simply horrific. When you get nailed it really is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok - so here's an extra trick for young players. I have been carefully editing a blog post on my tablet, on the blogger app. I had left the original post on my PC - and had not syched the two up. Then I went to the PC, opened the PC version of the post, and found to my horror that it was an old, old version. And then, as it autosaved, I sat and watched it vanish, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind style, from my tablet too. No "undo" on the PC, this time, and it is beyond my wit to recover from the Tablet also.

    Gutted.

    Good post though, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was trying to use the hide spoilers HTML script, and because I didn't do it properly, I ended up deleting 1.5hrs worth of work. I panicked as if I'd just been given a death sentence, but magically the Ctrl+Z worked even when Blogger's undo button was unavailable. After 50 presses, I got my content back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!