Monday, May 17, 2010

The Evolution of Freddy Krueger CAST YOUR VOTE!!

Freddy Krueger has seen changes in his look ranging from slight alterations to drastic overhauls in his look since 1984's seminal A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Let's have a look at how the dream demon changed, shall we? Check the pics below, then vote in the 2 polls beneath the pics!!


A Nightmare on Elm Street



A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge



A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors


A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master


A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child


Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare


Wes Craven's New Nightmare


Freddy Vs Jason


A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) (the unnecessary remake)


I guess as the host of this game, I should go first. So, before you all have to vote, I'll throw my neck out there :)

Well, as much as I HATE to vote against my favorite Nightmare film (the original, of course, although DW and WCNN are excellent), and I honestly really do mean HATE, (it's not hyperbole in the least), I have to vote for the aesthetic design featured in Wes Craven's New Nightmare. While the burn look has been replaced with more of a peeled look, he looks so fucking menacing, and, perhaps more importantly (well, okay not more) is the fact that he looks old, and that's what Craven had envisioned for the character to begin with. He looks old and haggard, and that just adds to the sinister nature of the character. Then you toss in the AMAZING looking, much more organic, ''bone claw'' as I like to call it, the added thumb blade (dexterity be damned), and the trenchcoat, and you have yourself the hobo from HELL. And I think that's exactly what Craven had in mind from the start, based on his childhood encounter.

As for the one I like the least (actually, I HATE this look), as much as I really don't like what they did to him in Freddy's Dead (seriously, the actually aimed to make him less scary, and well, they suceeded....he looks like he's been rubberized) I am going to have to vote for (surprise surprise) the remake's take on it. Just......what the fuck. He looks like a blob of shit, and I say realism be damned (no offense to real burn victims, I cannot even begin to imagine the horror). I want a demonic looking Krueger, not one who just came off the operating table where they did skin grafts.

The Freddy Krueger Look You Prefer?

The Freddy Krueger Look You Like the Least?

3 comments:

  1. I don't really hate any of the make up for Freddy in any of the movies to be honest but, I will say that I didn't really care for the Part1 very much as, even though it's the first, it was too rough and over exaggerated. The Part2 was a much better make up and really made Robert look so damned evil. Part3 and 4 were a nice look, and part5 and 6 were a bit too cartoony. New Nightmare I think added some interesting menace but the peeled skin looked silly and it was built up so much to add depth that Roberts head looked huge and the same goes for that "glove" he wore. Way to over sized and the wobbly blades were so bad. Vs was a good make up as well and in interesting take on the look and the remake I didn't think looked bad and in fact in some scenes looked very menacing and creepy when used right though I hate, HATE the CGI enhancements they added to put holes in his face...what the shit for? All it did was call attention to the use of CGI and all THAT did was kick out out of the moment and remind you that this movie was brought to you by ham-fisted CGI hacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wobbly blades? Hmm, I need to watch out for that next time I watch it. Thanks for the great comment!

    ReplyDelete

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!